Tuesday, January 8, 2013

in defense of honey boo boo child



Americans like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. Probably for a lot of the same reasons we like Nascar, Cheetos, and Blingee. But I think there's something more to our fascination with the Boo Boo Clan. There's a whole lot of love there inside that rundown house by the railroad tracks and mini-mart. And even the Grinchiest of hearts can see that.

The show's been riddled with controversy from the start. There was Go Go Juice, Sketti, a teenage pregnancy, a baby born with an extra thumb, weight and diet speculation... the list goes on and on. Sure, America loves the voyeuristic stuff. LOVES IT. But what keeps us coming back for more, I think, is the fascination with a family so tight-knit they can smell each other's breath blind-folded for a family fun night.



They care for and support each other wholeheartedly, and protect Alana (Honey Boo Boo Child) from any limelight she might not be too keen on at the moment. They don't push or force her pageantry- in fact, they take a really laid-back approach to the child pageant world compared to most. There's even a gay uncle, Lee Thompson, whom the family is completely affectionate and accepting of. I think some Americans could learn a bit from this "backwards redneck" family- in many ways, the Thompsons are way ahead of the game in equality, beauty and self-confidence issues, and unconditional love.

This past Sunday night, the premiere episode of Honey Boo Boo Child Season 2 had ratings through the roof. I haven't had a chance to watch (getting TV out here on the farm can be... interesting), but I'm really looking forward to it. I love Mama June, Sugar Bear, and all the girls. I hope I get to see more of Glitzy the pig and of Alana competing. But what I'm looking most forward to is watching the small-scale family interactions. The kindnesses exchanged, no matter how weirdly. The make do and mend mentality that gets them through tough times. And the unapologetic and hilarious moments in between.

And please, let there be more Uncle Poodle.









And I've got some new additions to the shop, so have a look! My Etsy Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment