Friday, January 4, 2013

a really good year

I just got back from spending four days in Louisville. I wanted a change of scenery and really enjoyed the central heating, the art, eating some food not prepared by me, and ringing in the new year in front of a television with a half empty pizza box on the bed.

Sometimes, it just feels good to be a consumer. 

We had been saying for ages we wanted to do this, but it's hard to get away from farm life when there is so much to maintain- and we don't even have livestock! A farmer never sees a vacation in the spring or summer, and rarely in the fall. There's just too much to do outside. You leave a garden for 3 days unattended and you'll come back to find the weeds have won. Couple weeding and constant harvesting and preserving with the mega-drought we endured this summer and you've got a good old-fashioned ball and chain. A really tasty one, but still. 

Even up until the moment we revved up my old '94 Volvo and tossed the last of our bags (well, mostly mine) into the trunk, we were still doubting this was the right thing to do. Once we had the city in our sights a few miles outside of Louisville, I was certain this was just what we needed. 

It was a cold drive. It had snowed a few inches the night before. 


And, as life sometimes goes, my heating in the car decided not to work for the first time ever, on such a frigid drive. Luckily, we were bundled up anyway, so it wasn't something we couldn't bear. 


We ate some great food, I did some fantastic thrift shopping and used some Christmas money from family to buy some new clothes and makeup (thanks Mamaw Perry, Papaw Ron, and David's parents!), and saw the sights. 

One of my favorite stops in Louisville is a shop called Discoveries. It's on Bardstown Road and carries the most beautiful array of jewelry, trinkets, and accessories from artisans all over the world. I found the sweetest little pair of Japanese cat earrings there and purchased two really super Mexican Christmas ornaments that I can add to the tree next year. One is of a tin Felix the Cat and the other is an antique etched mirror on a string. 

I had the brilliant idea to go to this place called LazerBlaze. Yes. It was awesome. We played glow in the dark mini golf and loads of goofy arcade games where I cashed in my tickets for a sweet prize. Haha. 

We also stopped in at 21C downtown and I adored the art currently on exhibit. 

Me taking a photo of myself in the permanent piece, Text Rain

More Text Rain

This was my most favorite piece- The Haunted Doll's House by Laurie Lipton


Creepy and so awesome. 

I LOVED this piece so much, but fail to remember the artist or title!

The very best part of the entire trip was our stay on New Year's Eve at the Inn at Woodhaven. 



We got there after dark, having made a "slight" detour into Forever 21 for their half off clearance sale that took up THE ENTIRE SECOND FLOOR. It was epic and now I am trendy again, thank goodness! My sister and best friends will breathe a sigh of relief. Sometimes, being out on the farm, I commit the most cardinal of fashion sins- wearing Crocs. Yes. Yes. Ugh. 

Anyways, the Inn at Woodhaven was built in 1853 and is just as charming as one could ever dream up. We stayed in the Cupola Room, which was the top floor of the old carriage house out back. The room was cozy and sweet and had the most delightful treats set out for our arrival. There was sherry in an antique crystal decanter, biscotti, freshly baked cookies, tea and other such things. We gave Mellow Mushroom a call and as quick as can be, we were in lazytown heaven. My only regret was forgetting to ask the innkeeper what type of mattress and feather pillows were in our room. My own bed was put to shame! In the morning, we were served an incredible homemade breakfast of caramel french toast, scrambled eggs with onions and cheese, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, and bacon. 

The Cupola Room Bedroom

I admit, it was hard to say goodbye. On our way out of town, I stopped at some Peddler's Malls to hunt for things for my Etsy shop and really had quite a haul. I got so excited at one point that I screamed to David down the aisle, "Go get a cart, I've hit the motherload!" and a lady shopping nearby chuckled. 

I came home and finally got to photographing all of my vintage and antique finds, and even tossed in a few of my yarns for good measure. I've got the shop up and going now and have promised myself to load at least one item a day onto it, so that I can find some success at this. Already, I've had way more page views and "favorites" than I could have hoped for so soon. The link to my shop is in the top right corner of my blog- check it out if you'd like. 

And, so, here's to a new year- I'm ready for whatever it may bring, but hopefully there's a lot more pizza, just as much love, and a little luck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment