Wednesday, December 19, 2012

in anticipation of snow


It seems a funny thing to wish for snow as an adult, and yet, I suppose the heart of a child still beats beneath my chest. Children love snow for many reasons- cancelled school days, a fun and fleeting way to play, and I think, most of all, the sheer wonder of it all. Have you ever sat by a window, warm inside your home, and watched as the wet and heavy flakes floated to the ground? It's the sort of meditation our minds go to all on their own, without needing to be prompted by yoga mats or incense, not that I don't enjoy those things, too. 


In Kentucky, particularly the Appalachian Mountains region, we tend to get some pretty good shots at snow every year, but the most hallowed and wished for of snows is the elusive Christmas Snow. Many children wish to wake to snow on Christmas morn. It lends an element of magic to the holiday and gives families a good nudge to put a fire in the fireplace or share hot chocolate together. To suit up everyone in many, many layers and delight to watch the clumsy, waddling snowball fights ensue.

Now that I am older- a grizzled and wise whole 26 years old!- my wish list has shortened and I admit sadly that some of that wonderful excitement leading up to the holidays has begun to fade. I'm not sure where it went to. I have an inkling that having to be responsible in general tends to edge out that tender sense of awe that can so easily slip away.

All of this to is to say, the weather man says snow is on the way! Tomorrow night AND a good chance for waking up to it on the big day. I'm happy to say I still love a good old-fashioned snowy day and plan to try out homemade snow cream if I have half the chance.


Snow Cream has been traced to a 15th century Dutch recipe and makes a very special treat for children of all ages. It's something old folks speak wistfully of in childhood memories and you can read about in 19th century fiction. So, without further ado, here's how you make it!


  • Gather 8 cups of fresh snow in a large bowl
  • Pour in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
  • And 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract 
  • Now just stir it up and eat plain or with whatever toppings your heart desires

No comments:

Post a Comment