Monday, December 17, 2012

wandering off into winter


Since my first post, I've been sidetracked. Waylaid. Caught up in a siren song. But now I'm back and  as determined as ever to make my Alpine Flowers dreams materialize. 

I think winter can be a tough time to start new ventures. There's just something about the season that calls you gently to a soft eiderdown and a Netflix marathon. Historically, wintertime has been the much-awaited opportunity for hardworking folks to take it easy and sidle up by the fire while gardens slept and most other work-related projects were put to bed for a few months, too. 

Here on the farm that we rent, this time of year can be pretty uncomfortable- in all the opposite ways that summer is. We heat with a wood-burning stove and keeping a fire going all the time is next to impossible. Once you fall asleep for the night, the fire will die, and when you wake in the morning, you'll shiver for an hour or two waiting on the house to heat back up again. It can be tough to feel  glamourous when you are outfitted in men's longjohns, wooly socks, leather and sherpa moccasins and a blanket trailing behind you. Then there is the matter of taking a bath outdoors! I will say, because I feel I must, that there is no feeling like sitting by a real, wood fire and no view like that when I look up from the old clawfoot bathtub into the endless stars in the night sky. I think people might pay a lot of money at a spa to experience such a wonder! 


And so, despite the lack of easy comforts, it occurs to me that winter blows in quite a lot of gorgeousness to inspire those looking for a spark of vision. The night skies recently have been of the inkiest black and dusted with glittering constellations like I've never seen before. Every bit of plant material has turned to lovely muddled colors. The boughs of juniper berries are heavy and smell delightful and soon snow will blanket the loamy earth, leaving a soft and subdued landscape that sparkles under moonlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment